When it comes to increasing visibility on the search engines, it can sometimes feel like you’re told the same tactics over and over again.
Just use the keywords you want to rank for and then hope they gain traction.
But how do you incorporate keywords in a meaningful way? And how do you know which keywords to choose?
Well there’s a ‘new’ keyword optimization method on the block that optimizes for keywords in a much more actionable and scalable way. Introducing the Keyword Multiplier Technique.
We say ‘new’ because although the technique itself is just now picking up in popularity, it’s something our agency has been doing for a long time. And now that the secret is out, we’re going to show you how to do it as well!
How it Works
When most businesses think about rankings, they vie to rank for the most competitive, high search volume terms. While ranking for those terms is a good goal, it’s not typically a good starting point.
The keyword multiplier technique capitalizes on keywords that your brand is already ranking for on the search engines and then strategically boosts and multiplies them. This allows the page to grow organically and ‘multiply’ your rankings until you build enough authority to rank for your goal terms.
We’ll break down how to do this in a few simple steps.
1. Use Google Search Console to find a page from your website that is already ranking in Google.
- Head over to the performance report and select the URL of that page.
- Click into the URL and select ‘Queries’ to see the keywords that are ranking and associated with that URL.
- This will give you analytics that show you the word, number of impressions, click through rate, and how many clicks you’re getting.
2. From that list of terms, find the words that are ranking well, but not in the first 3-5 positions. We call these striking distance terms and are the low-hanging fruit you can tackle first.
- Analyze your striking distance terms and look for high impression keywords that are receiving some clicks.
3. Optimize your page for the striking distance terms you are now tracking.
- Incorporate these terms into your on-page SEO strategy, working them strategically into your content, title tags, internal links, etc.
4. Track these pages in Google analytics by creating a shortcut and watch them grow on a month to month basis.
- By isolating pages in your reports, you will have a clearer understanding of what techniques are working so you can further customize your SEO strategy
5. Rinse and repeat.
- This is a multiplication process, which means that it can be done repeatedly. Do it with every page on your website and then maintain the pages and keep them up to date, constantly adding new keywords. When you write or add new pages, you can use your keyword knowledge to preemptively add in stronger keywords.
Why it Works
The keyword multiplier technique provides you with an opportunity to see what’s working on your website currently and expand upon it, and this technique is scalable as well. Once you understand which terms are most effective, it will also assist you in creating more content that will be equally, if not more, successful on your site.
Begin building your keyword foundation, and soon, you’ll be able to optimize for more competitive terms. Your goal keywords don’t seem so elusive now, do they?
Questions on this system, or on-page techniques? We’d love to chat!